Cerdon College, named after the birthplace of the Marist Sisters in France, began in 1960 with 50 students and two classes. The current student population is approximately 1100 students.
In the late 1950s the Catholic parents of Merrylands had been pleading for a secondary school for their daughters and on Sunday 26 March 1961 Cerdon was officially opened and blessed by Cardinal Gilroy after its commencement the previous year.
The growth of the Cerdon community is the story of extensive building projects and an ever-growing staff and student population under the leadership of Sister Doreen McOscar (Felician) from 1960 -1965, Sister Carmel Conran in 1966, Sister Joan McBride (Aquinas) from 1967 – 1979, and Sister Ann-Marie Webb from 1980 – 1994. These four women lived the vision and spirit of Mary and committed themselves, through their leadership, to imparting that spirit to the young women they educated.
In 1994, the Marist Sisters made the decision to withdraw from the principalship of Cerdon College. Mr Paul Dolan was appointed in an acting capacity in 1995. In September of that year he was confirmed as Principal and remained in the role until December 2005.
Mrs Patricia Baker commenced as Principal of the College in July 2006.